Contact Us 314.727.6000



I blogged in 2017 about this and decided to reprint with a few modifications.

In all the years you have lived in your home it has never been flooded, now you are told you are recently mapped into a flood zone, typically A or AE zone, now what?   First the reason you may be recently mapped into a flood zone is all the new building upstream or downstream of your homes location.  For example, when the home was initially built upstream of your creek may have been farm land, now there are perhaps a multiple roof tops, driveways, subdivision roads, driveways, patios, parking lots from near by stores.  Well guess where all that rainwater now flows?  It will find it's way to creek or storm drain leading to creek rather than settling into the earth in the old farmland.  

This means your once very safe, from flood, home is now no longer properly elevated.  If you are recently mapped into a flood zone the only way to dispute would be to obtain a flood elevation certificate from a survey company, this may cost $500-$600.  An elevation certificate pin-points EXACTLY how high the top of your attached garage floor or house floor is from the nearby threatening water source, creek.  The elevation certificate can be 6 pages with a dozen or so precise readings required for the flood quote process.  I have seen some recently mapped homes proven to be just outside the flood zones, if that is the case, I would suggest taking out SOME flood protection.  If you are outside the flood zones you will NOT be mandated to have flood insurance; however, in Saint Louis we have had 1 day rain events leaving 5" of water and 3 day rain events leaving behind 11 inches.  All it takes is one more 1/2 day of rain and your home could be in for major cleanup and damage.  They don't call heavy rain storms flash floods for nothing!

The average flood claim is $33,000 and 20-25% of all flood claims come from homes located just "outside" A or AE zone.

They say 1" of rain in home can cause $25,000 damage to your home.

If you are located outside flood zone A or AE, in zone X, a basic policy can cost $300 a year and their maximum policy about $500 a year.  

To learn more please contact the Flanigan Insurance Agency @ 314-727-6000.  



Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This and all content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information in this material is not intended to be used as tax or legal advice. Please consult with a tax and/or legal professional for detailed information regarding your individual situation. Some of this material was developed and shared by Flanigan Insurance Agency Inc to provide information that may be of interest. Flanigan Insurance Agency Inc is not affiliated with the named representative, broker-dealer, state- or SEC-registered investment advisory firm. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014

View Mobile Version

Our Carriers Our Company Services Contact Us More Help

Anthem BCBS
United Health One
Who We Are
Customer Service
Get A Quote
Insurance Types
Send A Message
File a Claim
Frequently Asked Questions
GET SOCIAL WITH US Facebook LinkedIn Google+
13422 Clayton Rd., Suite 203 | St Louis, MO 63131 | Ph: 314-727-6000 | Fx: 314-727-6027 Powered by Insurance Website Builder

Make a Payment Refer A Friend Our Partners Get A Quote